National List Comprising the Names of Persons and Entities Involved in Terrorism or Terrorist Financing
Based on the Provisions of Law no. 44 “Fighting Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing” dated 24/11/2015 and on the two adopted mechanisms for the implementation of the requirements of FATF Recommendation no. 6,
- Targeted financial sanctions shall apply against persons and entities designated on the above list.
- Warning: It is prohibited for any natural or legal person to provide any funds or assets or financial services or other related services, directly or indirectly, individually or jointly with others, for the benefit of any of the designated persons or entities on the national list or lists related to UNSCR 1267 (1999), 1988 (2011) 1989 (2011), 2253 (2015) and successor resolutions, and in case available freeze them without delay. Any violation is subject to judicial prosecution.
The definition of "funds or assets or financial services or other related services" established pursuant to the "Asset Freeze: Explanation of Terms as approved by the related Sanctions Committee shall apply.
- Delisting Procedures: Any of the designated persons or entities on the national list may submit to the Public Prosecutor of the Court of Cassation a request for delisting, along with the substantiating documents. The latter shall take a decision to remove the name of the concerned person or entity from the national list in case the relevant legal conditions are met.
Relevant legal conditions may include, among other things, the possibility that the concerned person or entity holds the same or a similar name as designated persons or entities, or may be a bona fide third party who has been inadvertently affected by a freezing mechanism (i.e. false positive).
- Access to Frozen Funds or other Assets: Any of the designated persons or entities may correspond in writing with the Special Investigation Commission (SIC) at Banque du Liban to authorize / license the use of all or part of the frozen funds. The SIC may grant this authorization contingent upon the conditions it deems necessary to prevent terrorist financing and for the objectives stated below:
o Pay the necessary or basic expenses of the natural person or any of his/her family members.
o Pay the reasonable professional fees and expenses related to legal services provided.
o Pay the fees or loan payments or charges due to a bank or financial institution for the management of frozen funds.
- Procedures Concerning Names of Persons and Entities Designated by Foreign Parties: In the respect, any natural or legal person, whether a Lebanese national or a resident in Lebanon may submit a request for delisting to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants, along with the substantiating documents, or submit a license / authorization request to use all or part of the frozen funds for the objectives stated above. In both cases, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Emigrants shall study the submitted request to take the appropriate decision.
Link to the 1988 Sanctions List
Link to the 1989/2011 and 2253/2015 Sanctions List
Any natural or legal person, whether a Lebanese national or resident in Lebanon may submit a request for delisting directly through the focal point process, including in instances where a same name or similar name as designated persons or entities, has been inadvertently affected by a freezing mechanism (i.e. false positive).
The contact details for the Office of the Ombudsperson pursuant to 1989/2011 and 2253/2015 Sanctions:
New York, NY 10017
United States of America
Tel: +1 212 963 2671
The contact details of the Focal Point for De-listing pursuant to 1988 Sanctions:
Security Council Subsidiary Organs Branch
Room DC2 2034
New York, N.Y. 10017
United States of America
Tel. +1 917 367 9448
Fax. +1 212 963 1300
What should be included in a delisting request to the Committee?
Delisting requests should contain the following information:
- Explanation as to why the designated does not or no longer meets the listing criteria (through countering the reasons for listing as stated in the list entry for that particular individual or entity);
- The designee's current occupation and/or activities, and any other relevant information, such as information on assets;
- Any documentation supporting the request can be referred to and/or attached together with the explanation of its relevance, where appropriate.
For a deceased individual, the following information should be included:
- Death certificate or similar official documentation confirming the death whenever possible;
- Whether or not any legal beneficiary of the deceased's estate or any joint owner of his/her assets is on the Sanctions Lists.